The Szigetköz (Little Rye Island) is an island plain in Western Hungary, part of the Little Hungarian Plain. The name literally means island alley, because the territory is located on an island. Its borders are the Danube and its branches; with a length of 52.5 km, with an average width of 6–8 km, and with a territory of 375 km², the island is Hungary's largest one. The territory's elevation varies between 110 and 125 metres.

It is called ‘the gift of the Danube’, since it was built by the alluvial deposit of the river. The nature-loving tourists are welcome by the rich flora and fauna of the region.
The lovers of water-tours can wander through the Danube-branches fringed with forests, where the various reaches promise unforgettable experiences for those arriving by kayak or canoe. The visitors can enjoy the romantic scenery of the Mosoni-Danube on boat trips as well.
In addition to the Danube-branches, the several quarry lakes - each with the promise of a fine catch - make Szigetköz a real fishermen’s paradise. The guests who wish to recover or regenerate are welcome all year round in the thermal spa and swimming pool in Mosonmagyaróvár, the aquapark in Győr and the spa of Lipót that waits for the visitors with several swimming-, adventure- and thermal pools. Organised by the riding stables of the area, the jaunting-rides and riding-tours to the island are very popular. In Dunakiliti there is a 9-hole golf course waiting for the lovers of golf. Szigetköz is rich in various games, and this fact holds out the best hopes for hunters arriving into the area of bagging deer, stag and even wild boar.
The section through Szigetköz is a part of the international cycle-route along the Danube, however the low-traffic dams and side-roads are also suitable for bicycling.
The rich selection of accommodations in Szigetköz satisfies every demand, since it is ranging from the four star castle hotel, through wellness hotels and B&Bs to campsites. Besides good restaurants and diverse services tempt the tourists.

We especially offer to visit theese places: 


Ásványráró, Ráró Black Aspen (on the road from Ásványráró to Hédervár )

Black poplar of Ásványráró is located on the road between Ásványráró and Hédervár.
It is about 100 years old, and its circumference is  520 cm. Nearby of the tree is standing a 300-year old calvary. The poplar is under protection since 1982.


Darnózseli, Chsestnut allee (on the road from Lipót to Darnózseli)

 The allee is running between Darnózseli and Lipót:  2050 m long, with 117 chestnut trees and 19 sycamores. The allee is under heritage protection since 1982. 


Dunakiliti, Milleneumi oak (Kossuth L. street)

The oak is standing in the village center oppsite the catholic church. There were 7 oaks planted in 1896, as a memorial of the hungarian state founding. By this time there is only one tree left, it is under protection.



Mosonmagyaróvár,  Three oaks chapel  (on the road from Óvár to Dunakiliti, on the second road, right handside, 100 m in the alley)

The chapel was built in 1900, with three oaks planted as a Thanksgiving for a lucky escape.



Mosonmagyaróvár, Wittmann park (Vár 2.)

The park behind the fort of Magyaróvár is nemed for Wittmann Antal the firs director of the Agricultural Academy in Magyaróvár. Tehere are many native trees in the forest: oak, ash, elm, and deployed species like pine.


Hédervár, Kont memorial; Kont-tree (Fő str. 46.)

Kont-tree is named for Earl Héderváry Kont István, who was beheaded in 1388:he was organised an unsuccesful assasination against the king Sigmund of Luxemburg. This place is said to be 'the place where the assassination were planned'. The tree is under protection since 1982.


Lipót, Holt-Danube arm (Holt-Duna str..)

This place is perfect for birdwatcers especially, many species of birds are living in the reeds. Othe types of plants and animals ere living there of course: molluscs, insects, beetles, fishes, murines. A study-path is crossing this area: it could be a good program for families, group of friends.


Rajka Beaver's watching point (from the Evangelic Church to the direction of the Danube, until Szivárgó channel)