Lébény is an important station in the Hungarian part of the Way of St. James (El Camino de Santiago)

Lébény is situated in the vicinity of the highway M1, which connects Budapest with Vienna. It is an independent large village, the borders whereof are surrounded by the Hanság and the river Rábca. Lébény is also an organic part of the bicycle road system in the Szigetköz region.The territory of Lébény has been continuously inhabited since the prehistoric era. The fortress and the cemetery of Quadrata-Barátföldpuszta preserve the memory of the Roman age. Lébény was first mentioned in a charter in 1199.

In the main square of the village the notable relic of our Romanesque architecture, the parish church stands, that was founded in honour of St. Jacob by Bailiff Pot. The three-nave, basilica-style church, erected in the early 13th century keeps its original structure up to now. It is mighty and majestic yet exquisite in its grey rigour, with even walls of the main front and with the jamb-lining of the main gate decorated with richly carved work.

The lakes, the beautiful, flowery oak forest and the vast desiccating marshlands surrounding the village are all among the ornaments of Hungary offering great opportunities for active relaxation. The ancient Hanság lawn territory is a landscape protection area.

More: www.lebeny.hu